Monday, December 03, 2007

Cornered!

The playmakers are over for the fall season and I am back to doing regular daily assignments. While biding my time until the winter sports season ends and I get to do five more playmakers.

The other day I was sent to shoot some high school girls swimmers as part of their season preview. I shot the head shots I needed to do and then needed to a portrait of two of the girls. I thought I had the photo worked out in my head on the way to the school. But when I got there, one of the two girls was absent and wouldn’t be there for the photo as scheduled.

I had to come up with a photo of the one remaining girl that would carry the story as well as the page in the sports section that it would run on.

I knew I wanted to shoot her in the water, but at the same time I wanted the image to have a bit of a “different” look to it. I don’t know why I came up with the photo of Madison Krall in the corner of the pool, but I did.

The photo had a bit of a “playmaker” feel to it but I give all the credit to Madison. She is the reason that the photo works. Her “permasmile” as well as her hand placement really completed the image.

I count myself lucky as I managed to shoot the photo from the side of the pool and do two very important things. I kept my feet out of the frame and stayed dry. Woohoo!

Madison is the kind of subject that photographers dream of. She is was patient, and a a real joy to work with. Plus she did things on her own that helped. I look forward to getting to shoot her again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan I first saw your playmaker series on Flikr, great work I like your stuff a lot.

Bryan said...

Thanks Ron! I also enjoy your images.