Saturday, January 13, 2007

Seeing the light...


(Pueblo East High School basketball player, Maleah Gregory protects the ball.)

For years I have had to shoot high school basketball in some pretty dimly lit gyms. Until recently I have struggled with how to do it without throwing my back out from carrying all the sports arena lights to each assignment. I would have to schedule extra time to drag all the lights, stands and cords into the gym, set them up and hope that no one complained about them. Ever since the paper gained the ability to place color images on nearly any page, I have had to go the extra mile to make it work.

Then I found the Strobist blog (http://strobist.blogspot.com). The blog is run by Baltimore Sun staff photographer Dave Hobby and is a wealth of information for photographers interested in making stronger photos with off-camera stobes. Dave and other "Strobists" share ideas and techniques on ways to light subjects with speedlights placed anywhere but on the hotshoe of the camera. After more than 20 years in this business I still look to learn new things and the strobist has been a great help.

Dave and his blog helped me discover that I could light a gym and make some pretty strong images without lugging all that gear. (Dave, my back thanks you!) I now use a couple Nikon SB-800 strobes mounted on a couple of Bogen clamps and triggered by two Pocket Wizard recievers (the transmitter is on the camera).



(A Pueblo County High School Player and an Alamosa High School Player battle for a loose ball recently in the County Gym.)

The two samples shown here were shot recently in two of the darkest dungeons around. The lighting is amazingly simple and it has increased my ratio of good to bad images dramatically.

I mount my strobes at the top of the key on one end and point them at the other end of the court. I cross light the court by pointing the strobe toward the opposite corner with the light crossing at the top of the key on the far end of the court. I have had some very good results with this lighting setup. Where I use to loathe going into the school's gyms to shoot basketball, I now look forward to the opportunity. A good number of the games we cover take place in the Events Center at the Colorado State Fair which is an arena where we have permanent strobes in place and little worries as to the lighting which is great. However, now that I am learning new lighting techniques I look forward to every opportunity I have to take this show (and my speedights) on the road.

Thanks Strobist!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan,

Good article...I am taking photos up here in the Springs for triLakes Tribune, Trinune, and Pine Creek HS. Started 5 months ago with Nikon D200, AB800 strobes, and 2 SB800s, and Pocket Wizards. Here is my site for examples of my photos -- KenMellottPhotography.smugmug.com. I have been bouncing the AB800's off of our school gym ceiling (Pine Creek HS), but am trying to figure out a simpler solution at gyms where ceiling is too high (or dark) -- but avoid coaches fears of light in players eyes. I thought about the AB800's on light stands in the corners on the end I would shoot -- or SB800's -- but am interested in how your cross lighting ended up with nice light in front of the BB players (if you shot at the end theye wrer running to) rather than all backlit?

Thanks, and I look forward to reading your blog -- or getting in touch with you someday for further advice/tips!

Thanks! Ken

Bryan said...

Ken,

Thanks for taking the time to stop by my blog.

I have been covering prep, college and pro sports for longer than I care to admit. And only recently have I stumbled upon a way to light indoor events without dragging a pair of big arena strobes around with me.

I do light the opposite end of the court and shoot with either a 70-200 or a 300mm lens. It has worked out beautifully. I get the photos I need and I can still walk the next day! What a deal!

I have found that if I set up my lights at the top of the opposite key and shoot long I get good light and no one complains. I aim them across the court a the opposite corner and slightly above the court. The Manfrotto clamps that I use are geat and eliminate the need for lightstands.

It looks like you are making some nice images yourself. Keep up the good work.

-Bryan

Anonymous said...

Thanks Bryan. I will check your blog frequently because I like your images, your experience, and your style of shooting/website blog. Honestly, I do this mostly for the challenge of getting a good shot(s).

I have the Bogen super clamps myself and just ordered two Justin clamps for my SB800's. I may just experiment a bit tomorrow at some games with your set-up.

Interested to see any follow-up on the SB800's for football. I have never shot prep football but am doing all sports upon request of the AD and two local papers, so look forward to more good ideas -- especially with the Strobist/Clark/Kelsen style of using them. I have an 80-200mm 2.8 and a 1.4tc, but thinking of whether a 200/2 or 300/2.8 or even 200-400/4 are better big lenses for me later this year. I was thinking with all the indoor sports we have + night football and 1.4/1.7/2 TC's dovetailed with the 200/2, that that may be a good combo and may be more versatile -- thoughts? Ken

Bryan said...

Ken,

I am partial to the 70-200f/2.8 as well as the 300 f2.8. I try to stay away from using extenders if possible as they narrow the depth of field and subtract at least a stop of light. I will put a TC14B on the 300 when I have good light and the need for a very long lens. I actually own a 400 f/2.8, but rarely use it any more.

I have had some success with SB800s and night prep football. I am planning using the SB800s even more this coming season.

-B

Anonymous said...

Bryan,

I'm going to try this on Fri night's BB games I am covering, but add a bounce 800w strobe off the ceiling at the basket I am shooting towards. I have been bouncing two AB800 strobes with PW multi-maxes off the ceiling which has given me 3 F-stops over ambient and enveloping and diffused light....but, the light is a bit flat for my taste. I shot at Lewis Palmer (see my website) and I had one 800w strobe up high on the left at mid-court and two bouncers on my right (lower bleachers--ceiling was too high really) and initially I thought my lighting was harsh compared to my other all-bounce photos but I like some of that direct light -- gives cleaner colors and depth -- so, I'm going to set two SB800's on my 13' stands (bungee cord the base of the stands to bleacher stands up high) and raise them from top of bleachers around mid/40% of court to maybe 5-10 ft higher than the stands (get it higher and away from crowd?) and add one 800w bouncer where I usually do for more light and enveloping light near the basket. Will take your approach/Strobist approach and take images from mid-court to 30-40% up court with 80-200 and maybe a 1.4 on that. Have not bought my long lens yet or might take 300mm from opposite end like you do. Would think under the basket with the chaos there that images are best -- but don't get much of the basket and especially with the varsity -- may be better to get shots with more basket -- since they can dunk and get higher than the girls. Going to Rich Clarkson school in Colo Spgs in June and will buy long lens after I get advice and experiences there. Your ideas and willingness to share is awesome.

Ken

Anonymous said...

Hey Bryan,

I realize this is a post from a while back, but I'm having some trouble visualizing the placement of your SB800s. Are you saying you place them off to the sides even with the top of the key? About how high up (though I'm sure this depends heavily on where a "clamp-able" spot is on the wall/bleachers)?

Thanks... I've really enjoyed your blog.

jb.

Bryan said...

J.B.

I place the strobes even with the top of the key. But that is the top of the key on the opposite half of the court that I am NOT shooting.

That way the half of the court I am shooting is pretty evenly lit. I also try to get them up above the court near the top of the bleachers or higher.

I hope that this helps.

Anonymous said...

Yeah... that totally makes sense. Thanks.