Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Tubing twosome



Isn't snow great? I know, I know it isn't something that everyone looks forward to. I have to admit that I am a fan of the cold white stuff that falls from the sky during the winter months. I enjoy playing in it and it certainly gives me plenty of opportunity to make some fun images.

The other day I was driving down the street when I passed a spot on the west side of town that is just full of hills. Usually these hills are a popular place for motorcross motorcycle riding. I noticed several cars parked off of the side of the road and looking a little further I saw several sledders sliding down these hills which were now covered with snow.

I made a quick call to my boss to ask if they would be able to use a feature photo. I was told that there may be space and to go ahead and shoot whatever I saw. So I headed to where I saw the sledders.

When I got there I saw a group of both adults and kids sledding down a hill that had a small jump built about half way down the slope. Bingo! I find that the photos only get better when sledders get airborne. It is the out of control factor that exponentially improves sledding photos. Not only do I not know what kind of photos I will get but you never really know what the sledders will do once they take to the air.

I watched as several kids and adults slid down the hill toward the jump for a lift off. I shot them sliding and flying on their sleds and tubes. At one point I watched one father/son pair head down the hill side by side toward the jump. I thought this could be a good photo and a huge wreck. It was both.

The two hit the jump and all I could see was tubes and feet. Sometimes you don't need to see faces to get the idea of what is going on in a photo. In this case I think it is actually a bit funnier if you can't see them, because then your imagination takes over the humor level increases.

At least that is how I see it...

No comments: