Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Reflecting on enterprise photos...

A good portion of my job consists of enterprise photography. For those of you who don't know what that is, here is a detailed description. I drive around town looking for something interesting to photograph.

And on some days it can be the toughest thing I do. Over the years I have come up with a process to guarantee a good enterprise photo. I cross my fingers and pray. Okay, so it doesn't work EVERY time, but it is the best thing I have been able to come up with after 20 years of searching for the ultimate enterprise photo.

Some days I find what I am looking for in the first 5 minutes of looking. Other times I may drive 50-60 miles before I find a good subject (and sometimes my prey eludes me completely) I have found that one of the true challenges in finding an enterprise photo is being able to see familiar subjects in a unique way.
On one recent afternoon I was out on the hunt for an enterprise image when I stopped by the local skatepark. The park has been the subject of dozens of enterprise photos. So I needed to try to find a way to look at skateboarding that was different from all the other times I had photographed local riders. Luckily it had rained the day before and left a bit of a pond in the middle of the skatepark.

The riders were complaining about the water, but I was lovin' it. As I walked around the park, I watched several skateboarders lose control of their boards causing them to roll through pond. And it is a good thing that my camera isn't set up to record an audio track because the things that came out of some of these kids mouths would make a sailor cringe!

After looking at the pond from several different angles I finally came up with one that worked. It required that I squat down to get the photo. This was a sketchy move for me as every time I do something like this I risk not being able to stand back up! Nothing like being the age-ed photographer surrounded by skateboarding teenagers who wonder what the hell you are doing...LOL.

I did manage to get one or two images in focus without having to call fire rescue to help me up. Maybe next time I will rent an airplane and shoot an aerial shot. Anyone have a parachute I can borrow?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bryan,

I looked at your photo and you don't look to be old enough to need professional assistance to rise from kneeling. But then again, my left knee has been sore in these cooling November temps, as I've been telling my wife, and I'm a few few years shy of 30. I hate to think of our conversations will be in 30 years ("sweetheart, my arm fell off again, but don't worry, those staples they used last time this happened are good enough for another go"). YIKES

Bryan said...

Thanks Ryan, but there are days when it is easier to count the things that DON'T hurt than the ones that do. But I don't mind at least I still remember how to count.