Thursday, October 25, 2007

Using his head

When local professional sports teams make it to the big game people try to come up with unique ways to show their support for the team. I remember the guy who painted the huge Bronco head in the middle of his street the last time the Denver Broncos were in the Super Bowl. And there were the crazy haircuts, the face painting along with all the flags and jerseys.

But before yesterday I hadn't seen a temporary tattoo emblazoned on a man's shaved head with dry-erase markers. I have no dout that it had been done before and that fans have done and will do many crazier things to show their loyalty to their favorite team. What made this one interesting was that the big fan wasn't the guy with the art on his head. It was the woman who put it there.

"I was just sitting there waiting for my coffee to cool off when she did it." he said. Personally I would say that musta been one smokin' hot cup of coffee!I thought about how I would shoot a portrait of a guy with a baseball logo on his head as I drove over to the hospital where the subject works. I figured I would shoot the photo using a mirror.

That way I would be able to show the logo on the back of his head and his face at the same time. I wanted the portrait's lighting to look as natural as possible so I placed one sb-800 on a lightstand, pointed it at the ceiling of the nearest bathroom where I had him sit and look at his reflection in the mirror over the sink.

I have to say (and I said it to him) that it almost looked like he was sitting at one of those visitor windows at the county jail. I wonder if there is a law against being assaulted with dry-erase markers.

1 comment:

*Brittany* said...

Your work is wonderful! Thanks for stopping by my blog. =)