Saturday, November 24, 2007

Cross country playmaker (girl)

Cross country runner, Sarah Kettelkamp, of Pueblo Centennial High School is the playmaker for her sport this year.

I spent weeks researching this photo. Well, sort of. Most mornings during the warmer months I ride my mountain bike along the “Nature Trail” from my home to the dam in Lake Pueblo State Park. (About 15 miles round trip) During these rides I do a lot of looking for photo locations. I guess I can’t help it. Some people see dead people, I see photo backgrounds.

This was one of the first photos on my list. I had to get to it soon because the leaves were quickly falling from the trees and I wanted to have a bit of a golden background with a fall flavor to it.

Sarah was very patient with me while we were shooting the photo. I had found the location on my bike rides and decided we’d go to that section of trail for the back ground. The early afternoon sun worked great as a rim light as it fell through the trees and onto her head, shoulders and back.

I set up a couple of strobes on the trail and positioned myself. Then came the fun part, at least for me. I had looked at a lot of running photos to find the way I wanted to pose Sarah. I didn’t want her to run directly at the camera because that can end up with a photo where you can only see one leg. It happens when one leg is bent and can appear to be amputated at the knee.

I decided to have her run down the left side of the trail (her left) and then at a predetermined point she would cross the trail so that I could see both of her feet in the photograph. Sarah was very good at getting the stride I was looking for. There is a place in a runner’s stride when for a split second both of the runner's feet are off of the ground and it was what I was shooting for.

After about 30 times running down the trail through this spot I had plenty to chose from and Sarah had gotten a pretty good warm-up if she wanted to go for a run.

Glad I could help.

No comments: