Thursday, November 22, 2007

Golf playmaker

Zane Covey of Pueblo West High School was selected as the golf playmaker. I had him meet me at Liberty Point about 45 minutes before the sun set. (Liberty Point is a very scenic outcropping above Lake Pueblo State Park.)

I had visualized a photo of him where the majority of him was in silhouette and I only lit his face. I had originally thought about going out on to the point to shoot the photo, but after I arrived I decided that the parking lot would work just fine. And be a better place to set up my light stand.

Before the sun started to set I shot a few images of Zane with strong backlight. It helped me figure out how I wanted Zane to pose. Then as the light was changing I set up one SB-800 (speedlight flash) on a light stand with a snoot to direct the light to Zane's face.

The sun began to set and I had just a few minutes to make the image I wanted with the best possible light. Zane was great to work with and I credit the success of the image to him and to the fact that my 10 year-old son (who I brought as an assistant) didn’t hit anyone with the rocks he was tossing off of the point. (By the way, he promises not to do that again.)

No comments: