Thursday, November 22, 2007

Softball playmaker

Amber Pacheco of Pueblo Central High School was chosen as the playmaker for softball. I had decided that I wanted to do a photo of the Wildcat shortstop sliding head first into second base.

I wanted the photo to give the illusion of her sliding into the bag and yet still show off one of her trademark ear-to-ear grins.

I was able to get Amber’s coach to provide us with a helmet that didn’t have the required football-style facial protection. That way I could get an unobstructed view of her face.

I had Amber lay down on the ground with her hands stretched out to the bag as if she were sliding into it. I also asked her to lift her feet to give it more of an actual slide feel.

Then the fun began. My boss, and Amber’s coach began throwing hand-fulls of dirt at Amber’s legs and feet as I was shooting the photos to add the look of her in motion. Amber was covered in dirt when we finished but she was still smiling.

What a great sport she was!

No comments: