Thursday, November 22, 2007

Fall Playmakers...

At the end of each high school sports season the sports writers at The Pueblo Chieftain select one athlete from each of the sports as the “Playmaker” to represent that sport.
The playmakers are defined by the writers as the student athletes who left a lasting impression on those of us who chronicled their efforts. These athletes may or may not be the best in their sport; they do, however, represent the reasons why we love sport so much. -The Pueblo Chieftain

I have been lucky enough to have the task of creating portraits of each of the playmaker athletes assigned to me. I have come to enjoy the process of creating these images.

First off, I do some research. I spend time looking at as many photos of each sport as possible. I find inspiration in images created by other photographers who have worked to illustrate similar subjects.

I then try to come up with an idea that will help me to visually expose each athlete’s personality in the most dynamic way possible. There is no real form to my creative process. I just kind of toss everything into the pot, turn up the heat, stir it a few times and see what turns out. Sometimes things go as planned and that is fine.

Sometimes I throw away the recipe in the middle of the shoot and just wing it. That can be fine too. And sometimes it just depends on how the planets line up or on what I had for breakfast, or which socks I am wearing...

(In subsequent posts I will share each of the images with some background on the photo shoots.)

No comments: